No attendee found! Be the first one to book!
- TZM International TeamSpeak Meeting
- Aug 28 2019
- 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
TimeEastern US Time
After all, what is Democracy?
What: Zeitgeist NYC Meetup
When: Tuesday, 2 April 2019, from 6 to 8 pm Eastern Time
Where: 575 5th Ave, New York, NY 10017-2407, United States
Check in as a guest of Blair Arbuckle and bring a photo ID. We will be in Room 15-D. Be sure to bring a picture ID, which will be scanned.
Most of us appear to take the meaning of democracy for granted, and consequently we tend to end-up in a confused state (of talking past each other) when deeply embedded in our political discussions.
At this our latest of many other political-philosophical meet-ups, a short eight and a half (8-1/2) minute video from 1988 entitled Noam Chomsky on Democracy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljaXy1t0I44 will be shown to provocatively generate a deep, but lively discussion on the subject.
In addition, a series of proposed democracy assumptions (to be questioned/challenged of course) has been provided below in an effort to help us anchor our common understanding of democracy.
Although we may not come to full agreement as to what democracy is and means, we should at least be clear on what we, as individuals, mean by the use of the term.
In any case, let us honestly do our best to come closer on our meaning of democracy, in the name of Platonic truth seeking.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
SOME DEMOCRACY ASSUMPTIONS
- The right of all social members to equally participate in determining the community’s future.
- A higher degree of cooperation among community members (consensus building) over a competitive, winner-take-all approach to decision making.
- A full set of rights that protects the minority from the majority.
- Equal opportunity for all members of the community.
- The individual and social equality of all members of the community.
- Rule-of-Law based on the above assumptions.